Saturday 25 May 2013

Fahrenheit 451: letter to Mildred


Dear Millie,

            You must have noticed over the past few weeks that I’ve been changing. I don’t feel like the same fireman that I was just a month ago. My whole point of view seems different now.
            I met a girl named Clarisse. The first time we talked reminded me somewhat of the first time I met Faber in the park. At first I thought she was quite obnoxious; however, as I got to know her better, I found that she was quite inquisitive and courageous. After spending a considerable amount of time talking with Clarisse, I realized that she had changed my perspective. Clarisse helped me to think for myself for once. Although she is probably dead now, Clarisse is the one who really put this change into motion.
            Now I have a thirst for books, and to be able to understand what is in them. While I realize that reading books is illegal, I have heard stories from a wise man called Faber of times when it was perfectly normal to read. He used to be an English professor at a university, until people stopped caring about learning and reading books.
            I know you say that books aren’t real, but neither is your “family” in the parlor. Books can transport you and let you experience the world as it is. All that your “family” does is shout at you, allowing you to participate in their pointless programs.
I sincerely hope that you will learn to think for yourself and grow to appreciate the knowledge and wisdom that books contain. Perhaps you will even undergo a change for the better as well.

Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.