Saturday 25 May 2013

Fahrenheit 451: letter to Faber


Dear Faber,

            What an adventure it’s been! I hope things are well with you, and that you got out of the city safely. I did, but only narrowly escaped.
            My adventures continued when I left your house with a suitcase full of your clothes and the hope that I would make it out alive. I madly dodged through the streets, heading towards the river. As soon as I got into the river, the mechanical hound had reached the edge of the water. There were many helicopters and police buzzing around, all searching for me. After they got tired of waiting and left, I floated peacefully downstream, hoping to end up somewhere far away from the madness of the city. I assume that you saw part of this chase on your little television, but hopefully by that time you were on the bus out of the city. If you did happen to see the end of the chase, you probably realized that they faked finding me, instead targeting an odd man who happened to be out for a walk. I made my way along the rusty, old railroad tracks, heading towards a fire in the distance. There I met the “hobos”, part of a group of thousands, who are determined to keep the books alive and in tact by memorizing them, in whole or in part. The leader of this particular group is named Granger, and I think that you would really like these men. They are all very intelligent, like you, and have a great love for books as well. I hope that one day we will reunite and I can introduce you.  
            I am sure that you are aware of the bombs that targeted the city. It is very lucky that we were both out of there before they hit: I, having escaped into the country and you on an early bus out of the city. The city was completely demolished by the time the bombing had finished. When they start to rebuild it, I hope that they consider rebuilding the structure of our government system as well.
            As for my plans for the future, I think I am just going to get out there and experience the world as it really is, uncensored by anyone. Soon we will be heading to the city, to rise again from the ashes.

Sincerely,
Guy Montag

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.